Effect of strain energy on corrosion behavior of ultrafine grained copper prepared by severe plastic deformation
Effect of strain energy on corrosion behaviour of ultrafine-grained (UFG) copper prepared by severe plastic deformation was investigated in term of microstructural evolution. Pure copper was processed by simple shear extrusion (SSE) for two, four, eight and twelve passes. The structure of SSE treated sample was observed by laser microscope and transmission electron microscope as well as X-ray diffraction, The corrosion behaviour by potentiodynamic polarization curve was observed modified Livingstone solution, NaCl and sulphuric solution. The structure of SSE processed showed that the dislocation density and micro strain increased by the pass number up to eight passes; on the other hand, the crystallite size decreased. After twelve passes, the dislocation density decreased due to homogeneous structure and small grain; it also related to corrosion behaviour of UFG copper. The modified Livingstone and NaCl solution affected to grain boundaries and dislocation inside the grain
- Li, F. Li, C. Zhao, H. Chen, X. Ma, J. Li. Experimental study on pure copper subjected to different severe plastic deformation modes, Materials Science and Engineering: A, vol. 656, pp. 142-150, 2016.
- Torkestani, M. R. Dashtbayazi. A new method for severe plastic deformation of the copper sheets, Materials Science and Engineering: A, vol. 737, pp. 236-44, 2018.
- I. Rudskoi, A. M. Zolotov, R. A. Parshikov. Severe plastic deformation influence on engineering plasticity of copper, Materials Physics and Mechanics, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 64-8, 2018.
- Y. Alawadhi, S. Sabbaghianrad, Y. Huang, T. G. Langdon. Direct influence of recovery behaviour on mechanical properties in oxygen-free copper processed using different SPD techniques: HPT and ECAP, Journal of Materials Research and Technology, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 369-377, 2017.
- G. Sousa, V. L. Sordi, L. P. Brandão. Dislocation density and texture in copper deformed by cold rolling and ECAP, Materials Research, vol. 21, no. 1, 2018.
- Guo, S. Wei, C. Wang, Q. Li, Z. Jia. Texture evolution and strengthening mechanism of single crystal copper during ECAP, Materials Science and Engineering: A, vol. 759, pp. 97-104, 2019.
- Lipińska, L. Olejnik, M. Lewandowska. The influence of an ECAP-based deformation process on the microstructure and properties of electrolytic tough pitch copper, Journal of Materials Science, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 3862-3875, 2018.
- N. Mao, R. C. Gu, F. Liu, Y. Liu, X. Z. Liao, J. T. Wang. Effect of equal channel angular pressing on the thermal-annealing-induced microstructure and texture evolution of cold-rolled copper, Materials Science and Engineering: A, vol. 674, pp. 186-192, 2016.
- Xu, J. Li, D. Shan, B. Guo. Microstructural evolution and micro/meso-deformation behavior in pure copper processed by equal-channel angular pressing, Materials Science and Engineering: A, vol. 664, pp. 114-125, 2016.
- Krystian, J. Horky, D. Colas, S. Neodo, F. Diologent. Microstructure, mechanical properties, and thermal stability of lean, copper-free silver alloy subjected to equal channel angular pressing (ECAP) and subsequent post-processing, Materials Science and Engineering: A, vol. 757, pp. 52-61, 2019.
- Bagherpour, F. Qods, R. Ebrahimi, H. Miyamoto. Strain reversal in simple shear extrusion (SSE) processing: microstructure investigations and mechanical properties, AIP Conference Proceedings, Vol. 1920, No. 1, p. 020007, 2018.
- Lu, X. Wu, Z. Liu, X. Chen, B. Xu, Z. Wu, S. Ruan. Microstructure and mechanical properties of ultrafine-grained copper produced using intermittent ultrasonic-assisted equal-channel angular pressing, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, vol. 47, no. 9, pp. 4648-4658, 2016.
- Jiang, R. Zhu, J. T. Wang, Z. S. You. An investigation on rolling texture transition in copper preprocessed by equal channel angular pressing, Journal of Materials Science, vol. 51, no. 12, pp. 5609-5624, 2016.
- Gholami, O. Imantalab, M. Naseri, S. Vafaeian, A. Fattah-Alhosseini. Assessment of microstructural and electrochemical behavior of severely deformed pure copper through equal channel angular pressing, Journal of Alloys and Compound, vol. 723, pp. 856-685, 2017.
- Kadiyan, B. S. Dehiya. Effects of severe plastic deformation by ECAP on the microstructure and mechanical properties of a commercial copper alloy, Materials Research Express, vol. 6, no. 11, pp. 116570, 2019.
- Gholami, M. Mhaede, F. Pastorek, I. Altenberger, B. Hadzima, M. Wollmann, L. Wagner. Corrosion Behavior and Mechanical Properties of Ultrafine‐Grained Pure Copper with Potential as a Biomaterial, Advanced Engineering Materials, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 615-623, 2016.
- Yang, Y. Dong, H. Chang, I. Alexandrov, F. Li, J. Wang, Z. Dan. Corrosion behavior of ultrafine‐grained copper processed by equal channel angular pressing in simulated sea water, Materials and Corrosion, vol. 69, no. 10, pp. 1455-1461, 2018.
- Miyamoto. Corrosion of ultrafine grained materials by severe plastic deformation, an overview, Materials Transactions, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 559-72, 2016.
- Fattah-Alhosseini, O. Imantalab, Y. Mazaheri, M. K. Keshavarz. Microstructural evolution, mechanical properties, and strain hardening behavior of ultrafine grained commercial pure copper during the accumulative roll bonding process, Materials Science and Engineering: A, vol. 650, pp. 8-14, 2016.
- Fattah-Alhosseini, O. Imantalab, F. R. Attarzadeh. Enhancing the Electrochemical behavior of pure copper by cyclic potentiodynamic passivation: a comparison between coarse-and nano-grained pure copper, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 2761-2770, 2016.
- Fattah-Alhosseini, O. Imantalab. Passivation behavior of ultrafine-grained pure copper fabricated by accumulative roll bonding (ARB) process, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 572-580, 2016.
- Luo, L. Hu, Y. Xv, J. Zhou, W. Xv, M. Yan. Electrochemical corrosion behavior and surface passivation of bulk nanocrystalline copper in alkaline solution, Anti-Corrosion Methods and Materials, 2020.
- M. Irfan, S. Mukras, F. A. Al-Mufadi, F. Djavanroodi. Surface Modelling of Nanostructured Copper Subjected to Erosion-Corrosion, Metals, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 155, 2017.
- B. Mihajlović, M. B. Radovanović, A. T. Simonović, Ž. Z. Tasić, M. M. Antonijević. Evaluation of purine based compounds as the inhibitors of copper corrosion in simulated body fluid, Results in Physics, vol. 14, pp. 102357, 2019.
- Naseri, D. Gholami, O. Imantalab, F. R. Attarzadeh, A. Fattah-Alhosseini. Effect of grain refinement on mechanical and electrochemical properties of severely deformed pure copper through equal channel angular pressing, Materials Research Express, vol. 5, no. 7, pp. 076504, Jul 2018,.
- Ebrahimi, M. H. Shaeri, C. Gode, H. Armoon, M. Shamsborhan. The synergistic effect of dilute alloying and nanostructuring of copper on the improvement of mechanical and tribological response, Composites Part B: Engineering, vol. 164, pp. 508-516, 2019.
- Y. Alawadhi, S. Sabbaghianrad, Y. C. Wang, Y. Huang, T. G. Langdon. Characteristics of grain refinement in oxygen-free copper processed by equal-channel angular pressing and dynamic testing, Materials Science and Engineering: A, vol. 775, pp. 138985.
- Rifai, and H. Miyamoto. Effect of strain energy on the grain growth behaviour of ultrafine-grained iron-chromium alloy by equal channel angular pressing, Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Sciences, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 7049-7057, 2020.
- Rifai, M. Yuasa, and H. Miyamoto. Enhanced corrosion resistance of ultrafine-grained Fe-Cr alloys with subcritical Cr contents for passivity, Metals, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 149, 2018.
- Rifai, and H. Miyamoto. Effect of stored energy on corrosion fatigue properties of ultrafine grained Fe-20% Cr steel by equal channel angular pressing, IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, vol. 673, no. 1, pp. 012131, 2019.
- Rifai, M. Yuasa, and H. Miyamoto. Effect of Deformation Structure and Annealing Temperature on Corrosion of Ultrafine-Grain Fe-Cr Alloy Prepared by Equal Channel Angular Pressing, International Journal of Corrosion, 2018.
- Dani, S. Mustofa, S. Parikin, T. Sudiro, B. Hermanto, D. R. Adhika, A. Insani, A. Dimyati, S. H. Syahbuddin, E. A. Basuki, and C. A. Huang. Effect of Spark Plasma Sintering (SPS) at Temperatures of 900and 950 o c for 5 Minutes on Microstructural Formation of Fe-25Ni-17Cr Austenitic Stainless Steel, International Journal of Emerging Trends in Engineering Research, vol. 8, no. 8, 2020.
Authors retain copyright of the published papers and grant to the publisher the non-exclusive right to publish the article, to be cited as its original publisher in case of reuse, and to distribute it in all forms and media.The Author(s) warrant that their manuscript is their original work that has not been published before; that it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere; and that its publication has been approved by all co-authors, if any, as well as tacitly or explicitly by the responsible authorities at the institution where the work was carried out. The Author(s) affirm that the article contains no unfounded or unlawful statements and does not violate the rights of others. The author(s) also affirm that they hold no conflict of interest that may affect the integrity of the Manuscript and the validity of the findings presented in it. The Corresponding author, as the signing author, warrants that he/she has full power to make this grant on behalf of the Author(s). Any software contained in the Supplemental Materials is free from viruses, contaminants or worms.
The published articles will be distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 4.0 International license (CC BY-SA).
Authors are permitted to deposit publisher's version (PDF) of their work in an institutional repository, subject-based repository, author's personal website (including social networking sites, such as ResearchGate, Academia.edu, etc.), and/or departmental website at any time after publication.
Upon receiving the proofs, the Author(s) agree to promptly check the proofs carefully, correct any typographical errors, and authorize the publication of the corrected proofs.
The Corresponding author agrees to inform his/her co-authors, of any of the above terms.